"Header" Home Majors UC Campuses CSU Campuses California Community Colleges Course Articulation

About This Page

This page displays information about the major you selected and helps you identify the community colleges where you can fulfill major preparation requirements.

University Majors

California State University, East Bay
Interdisciplinary Studies, B.A.

The university offers both the B.A. and B.S. degrees with an Interdisciplinary Studies Major. There are no clearly defined differences between the two degrees, although B.S. degrees tend to be applied programs, while the B.A. is usually considered a liberal arts and social sciences degree. Normally, the type of degree awarded for an Interdisciplinary Studies Major reflects the degrees offered by the involved departments. To be eligible for an Interdisciplinary Studies Major, a student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50. An Interdisciplinary Studies Major must be a coherent program organized around a sound academic theme. The title of an Interdisciplinary Studies Major should be short (three to five words) and should describe the central academic theme of the program, not the student?s career objectives unless the two coincide.

An Interdisciplinary Studies Major must be fully approved before the student has fewer than 40 quarter units to complete the major and 60 for the degree. An Interdisciplinary Studies Major must contain at least 52 quarter units for the B.A. or 54 quarter units for the B.S. degree. The maximum number of quarter units for the Interdisciplinary Studies Major is 93 units for either the B.A. or the B.S., of which at least 36 are upper division (junior/senior level). Coursework in at least two different disciplines is required. The B.A. and B.S. degrees with an Interdisciplinary Studies Major require a total of at least 180 units.

Courses in the Interdisciplinary Studies Major are not applicable to the General Education-Breadth Requirements. (However, previously completed transfer evaluations will not be reevaluated). A student can take courses for G.E. purposes in departments involved in the major. However, any individual course used for G.E. cannot also be used in the major, except for courses which are exempt under the G.E. policy. Only one course from a department involved in the major can be applied to G.E.

  Click here to read more about this major on the campus web site.
  CSU GE-Breadth/IGETC recommended for this major? No
Click here to learn more about CSU GE-Breadth.
Click here to learn more about IGETC for CSU.

Choose a California Community College to see course articulation information related to this major at this and nearby community colleges.



ASSIST HomeExploring Majors Home  |  Majors  |  UC Campuses  |  CSU Campuses  |  Community Colleges  |  Course Articulation